Welcome to Stanwood High School, home of the Stanwood Spartans. Stanwood High School is a comprehensive high school that makes a difference in students’ lives by building relationships between students, staff, parents and community while:
• Connecting student learning to their future endeavors,
• Creating a positive classroom environment focused on effective instruction, participation and collaboration,
• Providing opportunities to experience and explore concepts.
To find out more about our vision and direction for the 2016-2017 school year, read below.
Staff at SHS are commited to student learning. This year staff are participating in action-based research activities to increase our student achievement. We are also focused on the 5 Dimensions of Teaching and Learning Instructional Framework and what strategies we can incorporate into the individual classrooms.
Principal's Mission: My mission as principal of Stanwood High School is to focus on best practices to raise our achievement levels. To do so, administrators provide in-services utilizing best practices and focusing on instructional strategies. We conduct learning walks, gather data, and act as coaches to best support our staff and students. By doing so, we plan to increase student achievement.
What guides us at Stanwood High School is our vision and mission.
Stanwood High School is a comprehensive high school that makes a difference in students’ lives by building relationships between students, staff, parents and community while:
· Connecting student learning to their future endeavors,
· Creating a positive classroom environment focused on effective instruction, participation and collaboration,
Providing opportunities to experience and explore concepts.
We are hoping to achieve the above with the use of non-negotiables.
Non-negotiables are principles we all agree to abide by, like a contract. If any member of the group does not follow the list, then the contract is broken and we won’t accomplish our goal.
This year’s non-negotiables are:
1. Teachers and students are expected to use the full extent of class time. Students will not be released early from class.
2. Staff will encourage student punctuality and attendance by being visible in hallways, following the building tardy policy and entering attendance into Skyward within the class period.
3. Staff will make school a welcoming and safe place. Staff presence in hallways will assist in this.
4. Staff and students will not use their cell phones, electronic devices, or headphones during the class period UNLESS electronic devices are being used for administrator- approved teacher directed learning activities.
5. Staff will not allow students to sleep in class.
These non-negotiables will allow us to focus on improved student achievement and engagement in the classroom. By holding each other accountable with these non-negotiables, staff and students will make SHS a better learning environment for EVERYONE and Unite us in our common Theory of Action & Mission.